Saturday, June 15, 2013

Waxhaw cheerleading fracture?

Kristina McDaniel and Rori Burke used to operate the Waxhaw Flyers cheerleading organization. (And to those of you who followed this link, yes, this web page is far too busy.)

If I'm not mistaken, my understanding is this pair got their start via the WAA (Waxhaw Athletic Association) and then left to start the Waxhaw Flyers much to the WAA's chagrin. Per a recent Facebook update to Jim Black's Land of the Waxhaws, it appears Kristina may have now split off to start her own group, Spirit Extreme All Stars.


Assuming I'm reading this right (a big if as I daresay I don't stay up-to-date on the local cheerleading scene), this is good news for local consumers of cheerleading as more options are available for their girls.

But a small part of me can't help but wonder if this may have something to do with the unfortunate incidents that came to light in March of this year with regards to Chad Blume, the Waxhaw resident who faces charges of sexually exploiting a minor and taking indecent liberties with a child and who also happened to be a volunteer photographer for the Waxhaw Flyers.

Like I mentioned in tonight's earlier post, the Blume case is one of those stories where an update is sorely needed.

UPDATE 6/26: A belated update, but I received an email from a representative of the Waxhaw Flyers chalking this up to "creative differences" and not the unfortunate Chad Blume situation. Good luck to both businesses!

No comments: