Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bridge & Rail closing or already closed?

I heard from the missus who heard from her friend (those details have been provided to help you determine how much stock you want to put into this rumor) that the Bridge & Rail is closing or has already closed. I'll be driving by tomorrow on my way to a game, so I'll try to remember to look. (UPDATE 9/28: I forgot to look & I've been by there 2 or 3 times since the original post. Luckily for me, the missus did confirm there's a sign on the door saying it's closed for renovation & will re-open under new ownership.)

Other details provided by those vicious rumormongers were that the new owners were going to petition for it to be turned into a bar.

My first thought: hooray a bar I can walk to!

My second thought: is this possible even if the Southsiders-sponsored referendum passes? In other words, does the ability to serve beer & mixed drinks alone allow for the opening of a bar? Or are there additional hoops to jump through even if referendum passes? I don't know enough about it to say either way.

I know The County Edge (now defunct?) once had an article detailing the kinds of businesses that were & weren't allowed to open up downtown. But I highly doubt bars were included on the undesirables list like gun dealers were because at that time, there was no chance they could open for business at that time. (We wouldn't want gun dealers rubbing elbows with bead barons, now would we?)

On a lighter note, I'd never eaten at the Bridge & Rail although we heard from a couple people who weren't real high on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bridge and rail has closed and will re-open with new owners. I've heard that the people who bought it own Big View as well. They have a lot of work to bring the facility up to current Union county code. My guess is that they will wait for the results of the mixed beverage referendum to decide if it will be a nice place (like Iles Noches) that can serve liquor or a diner with a 32 page menu that sells cheap food with a lot of tables turning.
We shall see on 11/4 (that's the day after the referendum)

klf said...

My first comment; thanks Patte!

I'm guessing the Big View you're referring to is the diner on 521/Ardrey Kell. They were working on that place for a long time before it opened. And after reading some of the reviews, I'm not sure I'm in any hurry to check it out.

As for the Bridge & Rail, we'll definitely have to wait & see.

Unknown said...

It is my understanding that the new owners are related to Spiro who owns Spiro's (formerly Hilltop) in Monroe and are no relation to the group that owns Big View and ilios noche. I have not heard what type of restaurant they intend to put in.