Friday, September 18, 2009

Our very own naked runner

The local Fox affiliate has a news report including video about a mysterious, possibly shape-shifting, naked runner that apparently pops up from time to time between midnight to 2.30am.

The "sightings" started about two months ago always between midnight and 2:30 am. The stories are running rampant: "I heard it was an old guy wearing beads." "A guy with a pony tail." "She had on a coat and was running buck naked!" “With only her tennis shoes and some beads!" [my emphasis]

The details of the naked runner change depend on who you talk to and now, there's even talk that the naked runner isn't even human.

I find the fact the naked runner has been spotted with beads somewhat interesting, since Waxhaw appears to be at the epicenter of North Carolina's burgeoning bead industry. Who would've thunk a second bead store would open up shop downtown? The question is will it survive or disappear like many of the other businesses in town.

(On a side note, I recall The County Edge, apparently defunct, had an interesting article long ago about detailing the types of rules for a business to open in downtown proper & what I considered exorbitant costs in just applying to open a business in downtown Waxhaw. Sadly, that article is no longer available.)

Dare I suggest this is some cockamamie scheme by the soon-to-open second bead store to rekindle interest in beads so that Waxhaw can support two bead stores? If I were in their shoes, I'd pull out all the stops

Exit question: Does the fact that I've heard nothing of this naked runner for two months destroy or just devalue my credibility as a Waxhaw blogger? I'd probably hear a lot more if a bar were to open. Not all of us drink coffee you know.

No comments: