Thursday, March 18, 2010

The CMC-Waxhaw Mess

Can anyone make anything out of the CMC-Waxhaw mess, where Carolinas Healthcare System is apparently battling county politicians, over leasing issues? I tried to read what I can on it, but neither side seems capable of clearly explaining what's happening.

I read a editorial/letter to the editor some time ago from one of the politicos involved explaining their stance (sorry but I cannot seem to find a link or paper copy top quote it). The only thing that struck me was the sheer number of words they used to offer no additional insight into the manner, the way politicians often do.

Over at the Village Scribe, we've got a open letter from Kim Rogers, chairwoman of the Union County Board of Commissioners here for those interested. (Can you spot where she summons her inner Barack Obama?) Comments were locked so I don't know what to make of that, especially because I can't imagine any post on the Village Scribe becoming bogged down with too many comments. Just seems like a crude way of blocking dissenting opinions.

Another post there by the proprietor Mark attempts to debunk the full page add that ran in the Neighbors section of the Charlotte Observer & in The Enquirer-Journal on March 7th. After reading this, the only thing I can be certain of is Mark D the Scribe has strong anti-CHS opinions, but those tidbits could be garnered by the fact that he locked comments on Ms. Rogers' open letter.

And for those interested in a separate website Mark set-up to promote his opinion on the matter, go here.

After all of this, I'm personally no closer to understanding what the problem is. But honestly I'm having a hard time understanding why the county is even involved in this. In my Xanadu, CHS would decide to build an emergency department in Waxhaw, figuring the growing population could support the enterprise. They would purchase the land, build the building, get the approvals, staff the department, and serve the citizens of the Waxhaw area, ideally making a profit through the course of their business. Somehow the county has become involved for reasons not understood by me & now government bureaucracy has gotten involved.

Is there a CMC-Waxhaw for Dummies? Maybe the Library Association of Waxhaw (here or here) has something available for purchase in their new downtown store (the old Waxhaw Fresh Market).

No comments: