Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Nothing going on in Waxhaw

Well, at least according to my posts. In reality, I've been a little busy lately and a little under the weather.

Some stuff I could've posted on but didn't are:

* First Friday -- A Friday evening event where local businesses stayed open later on Friday. Supposedly a pretty big deal based on all the follow-up articles (here & here for example). Unfortunately, my family spent the evening at home because we had no idea it was going on. And while I don't pretend to know everything in Waxhaw, I like to think I follow Waxhaw happenings a little more than your average joe. So a little more awareness about the "Second Friday" might benefit area businesses even more.

Just wondering, but is the next one going to be called "Second Friday" or are they all going to be "First Fridays"? That's a serious question.

* For those in the broom market, Waxhaw has a new artisan broom store. An article by none other than Dorothy Moloney can be found in the March 14th edition of The Waxhaw Exchange. It's run by Mark Hernig and is simply called the Broom Shop. Good luck to Mark who's also done much to improve the outdoor exhibits at the Museum of the Waxhaws. Hopefully his shop doesn't go the way of the Waxhaw Fresh Market, which is no more.

* If you've driven by a baseball field recently, you've probably noticed that the spring season is starting up again.

* Waxhaw UMC is selling a cookbook. Joyce Blythe was nice enough to personally deliver my copy to me. If you're interested, contact her for more details. On a sidenote, this is the first instance of my vote for town commissioner physically paying off for me. I can honestly tell you that neither Brett Diller nor Erin Kirkpatrick have hand-delivered local cookbooks to my house.

* I see a Chesterbrook Academy (a pre-school) is going in at the old smokestack building by Fox's Pizza. I'm a little disappointed with that because with the beer & liquor referendum passing (mentioned here), I thought that place would make an ideal location for a micro-brewery. Oh well.

* I finally visited Southsiders tonight after the new bar was put in. A very healthy crowd was there. I figured what better day to go get a couple pints of Guinness than St. Patrick's Day.

* And perhaps the biggest news: I was finally able to score a couple packs of Silly Bandz, making me the world's greatest dad at least for the evening. For those of you unaware, Silly Bandz are rubber bands shaped like animals, cars, dinosaurs, etc. They are all the rage in elementary school (and beyond I hear) & my wife had been unable to secure them in Waxhaw. Rumors of shipments to the local Walgreens always seemed to fall through. But I was able to secure some in nearby Gaston County.

UPDATE 3/31: Fixed typos

No comments: