Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Historic Ventures project shot down by commissioners

I'm a little late to the game on this one, but worth posting anyways.

The town commissioners nixed the proposed Historic Ventures redevelopment. Per The Enquirer-Journal:
Town commissioners voted 4-1, with Commissioner Max Walker in opposition, to deny a zoning change for a lot in historic downtown. Without the zoning change, the request for a conditional use permit, for that same lot was invalidated.

The development by Historic Ventures LLC, would have included a three-story apartment complex with up to 94 units, a hotel, a mixed-use building, a day care and a civic center.

“I don’t feel like it is reasonable or consistent with the area,” said Commissioner Martin Lane.

It is not the first time that the town’s board has fended off large developments in the historic downtown. In 2006, the town entered into an exhaustive series of hearings before rejecting efforts to add a Walmart Supercenter to the area.
I'm not exactly sure what's so "historic" about that section of town, but what do I know? I'm still upset I need to drive 20min to Walmart.

One interesting thing to note: Kay Carnes is still around. She was quoted once again by The Enquirer-Journal regarding this issue.
Kay Carnes said she was proud of the preparation that Waxhaw residents showed leading up to the meeting.

“And I’m proud of the members of the board who had the courage to say no to this,” she said.
I'd argue there was nothing particularly courageous about their decision.

No comments: