Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Waxhaw's sample ballot

I grabbed a sample ballot from the Union County Board of Elections site & figured I'd make it available here.


There will be two referendum-related questions:

* To permit the "on-premises" and"off-premises" sale of malt beverages.

* To permit the sale of mixed beverages in hotels, restaurants, private clubs, community theatres, and convention centers.

If you consider me influential in any way, vote "for" on both of these.

A couple questions, one more serious than the others:

1) How is your average citizen to ascertain a difference between those running for town commissioner? None of those names mean a thing to me. Unless you're friendly with one of the candidates, I don't know how the average person could even decide who to vote for. I think I'll abstain.

2) Who's responsible for choosing to spell it as "theatre"? This link suggests that it's a snobbier way of spelling "theater" which jives with my thoughts on the matter. In which case, this is to be expected because we're a snobby wine town at this time. Maybe the spelling of this word will change in official government documents if the referendum passes.

3) Hotels? Convention centers? Someone has big plans for Waxhaw.

No comments: