Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Waxhaw flash mob?

We were going to & coming back from Cuthbertson Middle School Friday night (2/26) when my boys & I saw a crowd of young people dressed in costumes outside the antique shop at the intersection of Broome & 75. I think that's the Waxhaw Antique Mart, but don't hold me to that.

Around 7.00pm, I'd say there were about 10-15 people dressed in costumes apparently singing & dancing. The person dressed as the Stormtrooper stood out, although (s)he was eventually joined by a cow and someone in a Santa hat. Around 9.00pm on our return home, I'd estimate there were at least double those numbers.

My first thought was that this is Waxhaw's answer to a flash mob, but the fact they were apparently stationed outside the antique shop for at least 2 hours seems to suggest otherwise.

One further clue that essentially rules out a flash mob is that my wife had seen something similar in recent months but neglected to tell me. What kind of self-respecting flash mob would perform the same stunt at the same place multiple times?

Anyone have any idea what was going on?

No comments: