Monday, February 1, 2010

So that's why helicopters were buzzing over Waxhaw

I spotted them first around lunchtime, picking out two, one circling and one hovering in place, and then a 3rd (news copter?). The one resembled a police helicopter but I couldn't say for certain despite the high-end optics of my son's Ranger Rick binoculars.

Elisabeth Arriero has the scoop in The Enquirer-Journal, but I'll give you a two-word teaser: fake dynamite.
Police evacuated two blocks of homes in Waxhaw after sheriff’s deputies found what looked like dynamite in one home.

Officers were serving eviction papers on the Harrison Park foreclosed home, at 2017 Dunsmore Court, when they found the fake explosives in a closet about 10:30 a.m.

Police Chief Mike Eiss said nobody was in the house but on top of a work bench in one closet was a bundle of four or five lead sticks banded together with tape and yellow wires coming out of it.
The Harrison Park neighborhood is the one near the new fire station -- this one.

Since we've moved to Waxhaw, I must say it's been more exciting than I expected -- a drive-by, a couple murders, a counterfeit electronics ring, and now a fake bomb. I can't help but wonder what's next.

No comments: