Monday, May 10, 2010

Beyond Waxhaw: Nearby development

A couple development-related items of note on the way to Waxhaw. Many commuters surely have noticed them already but for those who haven't:

* An new Aldi is going up near Young's Garden Center in Lancaster County. I don't think I've ever been to one, mainly because I always figured driving to the Monroe Aldi would essentially negate any savings gained. Not that it's closer (and on the route home for many), it seems like a good place to stretch your dollar.

When the building first started going up, I just assumed it was going to be a CVS or Walgreens because local development seems to suggest you can never have enough drug stores. Needless to say, I was happy to be wrong.

* Heading west out of Waxhaw on Highway 75, there's been some land tucked between Highway 75 and the railroad tracks that's been getting graded for quite some time. And according to the sign that showed up recently, it will eventually become Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church. The church appears to still be a long way off though, but when completed, it will surely become the closest Catholic church to Waxhaw.

Before the alcohol referendum passed, I though this would've been an ideal location to open a pub. Right next to the tracks with a van to safely transport Waxhaw denizens back and forth. Good thing for Our Lady of Grace that I had neither a more fully thought-out plan involving little more than a bar, railroad tracks, and a van service nor the seed money to get it off the ground. What can I say? I'm a dreamer.

No comments: