Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Voting today

I haven't had any posts on today's primary and that's mainly because the voting snuck up on me. Despite the campaign signs & the telemarketing voicemails (thankfully deleted by my wife before I could hear them), I forgot all about it.

I headed over to the Waxhaw Volunteer Fire Department in the late afternoon & it was deserted. I took the time to turn off my cell phone ringer as directed by the sign, but any potential incoming call would have at most annoyed the election volunteers. When I went to tally my votes, the machine read only 148 votes recorded and this was around 4pm!

To illustrate how ill-prepared I was to vote today, I took the time to write down everyone I was voting for so I could remember later who I had chosen. The only one I knew beforehand was Fern Shubert who was running for the State Senate in District 35. And that only because I remembered her articles in the defunct The County Edge, which oftentimes seemed to oftentimes illustrate government waste and poor decision-making by the powers that be.

No comments: