Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Historic walk scheduled this weekend

John Anderson's column in last Sunday's Observer is the gift that keeps giving (at least as far as this little Waxhaw blogger is concerned). He shares the following tidbit:
On Sept. 18 at 10 a.m., Town Commissioner Joyce Blythe will conduct a walking tour of Waxhaw's historic district.

She will be assisted by long term resident Melvin Farris. Joyce will educate and entertain participants with facts and anecdotes from the time before European settlers arrived right up to today. The tour is free and leaves from the Waxhaw United Methodist Church on the corner of McDonald and North Church Streets. Details: 704-843-2246.
This makes sense because once again I have a more pressing engagement to attend, in this case, a baseball game. Since I first heard about the historic walks that town commissioner Joyce Blythe so graciously gives, I don't believe I've had the opportunity to attend nary a one.

In fact, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear Joyce Blythe gets together with the Waxhaw Athletic Association (and occasionally the Cub Scouts) and schedules the historic walks so it's impossible for me to attend. Trying to thwart me like the owners of Maxwell's Tavern have thwarted me in the past (temporarily of course).

On a more serious note, for anyone interested in the history of Waxhaw, these sound like neat events to attend.

On a side note, I saw no reference to this historic walk on the town's Facebook page or elsewhere. So far, John's column is the only reference to it that I've seen. Not as highly advertised as past walk's if my memory serves me well.

No comments: