Friday, September 3, 2010

The wheels are in motion...

...regarding a potential left turning light for eastbound 75 traffic.

Scott Cole, a Division Traffic Engineer, at NC DOT has let me know they've recently scheduled counts and field observations of the traffic at the 16/75 intersection. The purpose: to see if a protected left turn lane (a left turning light without a turning lane) will benefit the overall movement of traffic at this intersection.

Per Scott, NC DOT generally recommends a turning lane if a left turning light is to be installed. A protected left turn oftentimes increases the congestion and delay at an an intersection. But he mentioned that a left turning lane is not necessarily a requirement as there have been occasions where a protected left turn was installed without adding a new turning lane.

Which is good because the town of Waxhaw is obviously protective of its small town charm. I suspect the odds of the town agreeing to wipe out enough downtown parking spaces to accommodate a left turning lane are slim to none.

Scott said the whole process would take a couple of weeks. When I get an update on the results, I'll be sure to post them here.

Anyone have any predictions as to the ultimate conclusion? If so, share them in the comments. I was originally thinking that Waxhaw would be one of the lucky exclusions to the suggested left turning lane, but now I'm wavering. I'm not sure if this is an example of me being realistic, pessimistic, or just preparing for the worst.

No comments: