Monday, August 16, 2010

Ask a question, get an answer

The question came in this post from August 7th where I wrote:
Who pays for decorative concrete stamping and painting anyways? I can't imagine DOT spending the extra money for a purely cosmetic change. Could it be the town?
This answer comes in the form of an article six days later courtesy of Sherri Phengchard of The Enquirer-Journal/Waxhaw Exchange fame. Who can say if this blogger's natural inquisitiveness planted the seed for this article?

From Sherri:
The Waxhaw Board of Commissioners had a special meeting Aug. 4 to approve $32,000 for crosswalk enhancements for the intersection of Highways 16 and 75. The crosswalks were completed this week.

“Aesthetically, it is more pleasing for downtown. It is more decorative than white lines. It is a pattern stamped into the asphalt to look like bricks, and it’s painted red,” Greg Mahar, Waxhaw’s director of planning and community development, said.
Read the whole piece for additional comments from Town Manager Mike McLaurin and commissioner Joyce Blythe.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if it was worth $32000 of town money to stamp and spray paint concrete at the 16/75 intersection.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Suggestion: Would you consider having just local bloggers added to your blog? That's what I'm trying to do to mine. I also have a business page on Facebook "Decorating by Donna" and I'm trying to add all locals for support.

klf said...

In my blog roll on the right, I've tried to include blogs/sites that discuss Waxhaw or the county, although there aren't many of them.

I've been compiling a list of Waxhaw business/organization links (and I think both your Facebook page & company site are on it if I'm not mistaken), but it's severely lacking at this time.

Ultimately, while I plan to make this available from my site at some point, I'm moving pretty slowly on it.