Sunday, August 22, 2010

Traffic checkpoints

On our way to the 521 Lowe's and the new 521 Aldi today, we ran into a checkpoint set up by the Waxhaw police on Hwy 75 near Helms Road.

A neighbor had run into a similar checkpoint recently at Waxhaw-Marvin Road, so the police seem to be out and about.

The police officer took my wife's ID (as I was being chauffeured), checked the license plate, and let us on on our way. But not before explaining that at least part of the reason for the checkpoints was that any citations given out during the checkpoints would result in an additional $100 in grant money (from whom, I can't say) for the police department.

This really doesn't bother me too much, but figured it was worth mentioning...you know, since I have a Waxhaw blog.

On another note, I really like the Aldi's. It was a lot smaller than I expected, but there were some good deals to be had. The $1 pineapple sticks out in my mind. Nothing beats a fresh pineapple.

And with the recent construction of the new 521 Aldi's and the 521 Walmart, it got me thinking. How much might this hurt the Waxhaw Lowe's and benefit the 521 Lowe's? We stopped by the 521 Lowe's today solely because we wanted to go to Aldi's. With the new Aldi's and Walmart popping up, along with the nice alcohol selection at Southern Spirits, this seems likely to draw a lot of shopping traffic out of Waxhaw.

I wonder if the Waxhaw Lowe's will begin to experience a noticeable drop in business because of this. John Tiley of The Waxhaw Gazette touches upon the pros and cons of of the recent 521 construction a little more in his latest issue. It's worth your time to read it.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I used to work at the 521 Lowe's and Waxhaw's sales were always lower. You can't compete with highway traffic if you're a local store especially with the new Walmart there. If the Lowe's in Indian Trail can make it, Waxhaw will be just fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Thanks for the update. I read your posts often.

Where is the Alsi's?

klf said...

The new Aldi's is probably a quarter mile south of Lowe's on 521 near Young's Garden Center.

And I didn't mean to suggest I thought the Waxhaw Lowe's is in trouble, just that the draw of the 521 Aldi's and the new 521 Walmart will likely drag away some of their business and some of Waxhaw's tax revenue.

Thanks for reading & commenting; it's refreshing to get a real comment every now & then.