Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Parade Postmortem

As someone who participated in the parade and was closer to the end than the beginning, it's hard to know how it went. It's a little strange looking at all the pictures of floats and participants I didn't get a chance to see.

But in the words of Tom Petty, the waiting was the hardest part. Our pack was supposed to be in place at 2.15pm, but given our place in the parade and the preceding rain, I made the command decision to arrive at a fashionably late 2.45pm. And we still waited for an additional 45 minutes before we actually began the parade.

I helped the scouts hand out candy canes and we almost got rid of them all. Had it been a little warmer, I'm sure we would've had no problem offloading them all. If anyone got a good shot of me handing a candy cane out to a smiling child, send it my way so I can use it on this blog. A shot like that would be gold.

But to conclude this somewhat rambling post, despite participating in the parade, in a small way it feels like we missed it. I hope the scouts and other young participants were able to take it all in despite not being able to take it all in. After wandering around in the cold, we stopped at the Explorer's bake sale stand to grab a six-pack of cupcakes before heading home to our warm house.

No comments: