Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dairy Barn takeout

A couple weekends ago, my wife went out for groceries and came back with BBQ takeout from the Dairy Barn. This was my first experience with anything other than ice cream from the Dairy Barn, so I figured it's worth mentioning.

She brought home a pound of BBQ, buns, slaw, and four brownies. She was told typically the brownies are heated and served with ice cream, but I believe my wife passed on the ice cream since it was a takeout order. It all cost around $20 if I'm not mistaken, a fair price to feed a family.

As for the BBQ, I'm no connoisseur, but it seemed to be of the eastern North Carolina vinegar variety. I thought it was pretty good, but I don't think it matched the BBQ that I tasted up at Lexington BBQ many years ago.

The slaw was fine, but I'm not a big fan of slaw in the first place. Even if I "like" a slaw, I rarely eat more than a couple bites, enough to try while also claiming I ate some vegetables. That's how I roll.

The brownies were a hit with the kids. I picked last and therefore ended up with the smallest brownie, but since I stuffed all the extra BBQ onto a rather large sandwich, I was in no position to eat a larger brownie and honestly should've forgone the one I ate.

As far as comparing it to other local BBQ, I prefer 521 BBQ, but this seems a wholly different style of BBQ. If there are any BBQ aficionados out there who can explain the differences between the two, I'd appreciate it.

Looking back at this post, it's clear I could never pass myself off as a food critic since everything was either "pretty good, "fine," or "good."

No comments: