Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Be wary of Panasonic HD TVs

A word of warning: if you're looking to invest in a HDTV, I'd stay away from Panasonics. In early 2009, I purchased a Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ85U, a 50" beauty as my entry into the wonderful world of high definition television.

I did a fair amount of research considering it was a major purchase before ultimately deciding on this one, which touted its longevity. Shortly after the warranty expired (and I declined to renew it), I discovered some other unfortunate souls out in the wilds of the internet who were having problems with, not only this particular model, but a number of other Panasonic models, these TVs crapping out. But I was only slightly worried at that time.

Then my tv started having it's own problems before crapping out about a month ago.

If you're interested in reading a bit more about the numerous problems, I suggest reading this blog and all its comments to get a feel for the sheer number of people affected by these lemon Panasonic HDTVs. Needless to say, I will be avoiding Panasonic products in the future. I was somewhat of a fan before having owned two different Panasonic camera, but no more.

It's too bad I didn't post this earlier because the Charlotte Motor Speedway has teamed up with Panasonic to build the world's largest HDTV, clocking in at 200ft x 80ft.

I just hope they purchased the extended warranty; it'd be a shame for that baby to crap out after a couple years. Hopefully the speedway has better luck than me.

No comments: